Apr 10th, 2015 by Alex Garrido
GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT OPPORTUNITY
Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs (VPFA)
The Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs (VPFA) seeks a Research Assistant to provide support to the Internal Evaluator for the NSF ADVANCE grant.
- Assist with faculty development questionnaires and surveys
- Assist in communication with faculty and other campus offices
- Update and maintain electronic records and websites
- Data collection and data entry
- Transcribe recorded interviews
- Assist in managing research, assessment, and survey databases including data entry and data retrieval
- Review, organize, and prepare accurate data for statistical analysis
- Compile statistical summaries from data
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to support data collection and reporting
- Assist in maintaining, revising, and publishing annual reports for program review and assessment
- Assist with other duties as assigned
- Experience with SPSS required
- Data processing and statistical data analysis skills required
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Statistics results report writing skills preferred
- Knowledge of statistics and familiarity with principles of research design
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple projects concurrently and follow through all phases to completion with little to no supervision
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to maintain a high level of confidentiality of data
- Ability to handle multiple projects concurrently and follow through all phases to completion
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Create graphs, charts and other templates for visual presentation of data
- Must be a full-time graduate student (9 hours during the Fall or Spring semester and 6 hours during Summer months) in good academic standing
- Must work well with diverse groups of people and have excellent communication skills in verbal and writing
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision
- Must be able to follow working timelines
TO APPLY: Please send your CV/Resume to email@example.com with the subject title: “RA Position for ADVANCE”.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 15, 2015
EMPLOYMENT PERIOD: April 27 – May 31, 2015 with high probability of continuing through the end of Summer semester, August 31, 2015
IMPORTANT NOTE: Only selected applicants will be contacted for interviews.
A group of students in the Masters of Public Administration program attended the 2015 National Conference for the American Society for Public Administrators (ASPA) in Chicago, Illinois from March 6 to 10.
Among the students, Luciano S. Garza III was selected to present his research on “Cultural Competence & Central American immigrant families in the RGV” at the 76th annual conference.
Students also met public administrators from around the world and attended educational sessions on topics related to graduate studies.
For more information on the ASPA conference, visit the website here.
Pamela S. Alexander, Master in Business Administration ‘05
What are you doing now?
I am an attorney and financial advisor.
What are your career goal(s)?
I want to continue keeping current and updated in my legal areas of practice. I also want to increase my area of practice that deals with charities.
What has your UTPA graduate education done for you?
My graduate education has helped me in managing my legal practice and looking at the practice of law from a business perspective.
How do you feel about your UTPA experience?
It was a great experience. I learned a great deal including how to work better with other people.
Best tip(s) for success?
Don’t just have goals that are in the abstract. Have a plan for how to make them happen and the follow through to get where you want to be.
Do you have any advice for prospective graduate students?
Find your niche and think outside the box. Also, don’t be afraid to diversify yourself – it brings peace of mind.
Graduate students, check out this GTA opportunity!
Mar 31st, 2015 by Carlos C. Molina
Avoid copyright infringement by arming yourself with a little knowledge. Learn more about fair use, creative commons licenses, and copyright by attending a copyright workshop! Register here: http://utpa.libguides.com/copyright .
Mar 16th, 2015 by Carlos C. Molina
Congratulations to Dr. Janis Feldman for receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) of the Lower Rio Grande Valley Chapter for 2015.
Each year, the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) selects a social worker for this national award to celebrate a lifetime of achievement for his or her best social work values and accomplishments demonstrated throughout their lifetime career.
Dr. Feldman has not only dedicated years of service to the community, but she has also improved the lives of teens in the valley and continues to influence cross section of human service professionals in the region through her publications, presentations, lectures and work as a social worker professional.
The Lifetime Achievement Award is an outstanding professional accomplishment and brings great recognition for the Social Work department at UTPA.
Once again, congratulations on your achievement and thank you for all that you do.
If you are interested in more information about our Master of Science in Social Work program, please contact us at 956-665-3661 or visit www.utrgv.edu/graduate.
Travel Scholarship Available!
Travelling can be one of the most rewarding experiences ever, no matter where you go. Another great graduate experience is attending conferences related to the area of studies that you love. But what if you were able to combine both?
The Office of Graduate Studies of UT Pan American has made available $400 for its Graduate Travel Scholarship. Thanks to a donation from the Blandina Cardenas Endowment, graduate students may use the scholarship prize to travel to a conference related to their studies.
The requirements are:
- Completed and signed application
- Letter of support from one (1) faculty advisor
- Full-time graduate student
- Good academic standing (minimum overall GPA of 3.0)
- Travel must be to a national conference related to program of study
- If accepted, student must provide travel related information in a timely basis to the administrative staff and complete any required travel forms with the Dean of Student’s office
For more information you can email Lorena Garcia Ramon at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Graduate Office in the MASS Building 1.158 for further assistance.
But hurry, application deadline is March 6, 2015.
Come and join us for our Graduate Fair on Thursday, March 12 from 5-8 p.m. in the UTPA Fieldhouse.
For more information or special accommodation, contact us (956) 665-3661 or email@example.com
Jan 28th, 2015 by Carlos C. Molina