May 19th, 2015 by Carlos C. Molina
Iliana Cantu, Master of Arts in Communication Studies, 2014
What are you doing now?
I am a real estate agent with Keller Williams Realty.
What are your career goals?
I plan to pursue a doctorate degree in Communication Studies with a focus on Interpersonal and Organizational Communication. I intend to teach at a university.
What has your UTPA graduate education done for you?
My UTPA graduate education helped me acquire the skills needed to succeed in multiple aspects of my life. In addition, my UTPA graduate education has also given me the confidence and knowledge to set high goals and organize plans to achieve them.
How do you feel about your UTPA experience?
I love UTPA. The faculty was passionate and enthusiastic about the material and ensured that all concepts were understood. I also had to the opportunity to be a Graduate Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant. I was able to learn firsthand what it’s like to teach at the university level. I discovered my love for teaching and doing research. Overall, it was a great experience and I’m grateful for everything I learned.
Best tip(s) for success?
I’d say staying organized and having short term and long-term goals is key. Making daily to-do lists greatly increases productivity. Definitely staying positive and looking at challenges as opportunities to grow instead of a setback.
Do you have any advice for prospective students?
Learn how to manage your time as soon as possible. Get involved with your department. Volunteering for presentations and other activities will not only help you get to know your professors, but it will also give you valuable experience that you can add to your resume or curriculum vita.
May 7th, 2015 by Alex Garrido
Lagace Consulting is looking for a part-time assistant with interest and experience in research, writing, and project management.
Must be super organized and detail oriented. Send resumes or request detailed job description: email@example.com
Apr 30th, 2015 by Carlos C. Molina
UTB (soon to be UTRGV) offers a TxVSN approved Professional Development (PD), or an internal graduate document of completion for Online K-12 Instruction/TxVSN Digital Literacies.
This PD is for any subject instructor, grades 3-12, to teach through www.txvsn.org, under the authority of the Texas Education Agency (TEA). Please see http://www.utb.edu/its/olt/Pages/OnlineK12.aspx.
Apply today: https://www.applytexas.org
If you take 2 classes together, the cost drops.****
UTB is joining forces with UT Pan Am in August 2015 to become UTRGV. Students accepted and enrolled in UTB classes this summer will be guaranteed UTRGV admission if they maintain at least a 3.0 GPA.
Please contact Dr. Kathy Bussert-Webb, UTB, Full Professor and Program Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org (956) 882-7595
Apr 22nd, 2015 by Carlos C. Molina
You’re busy, we know how that goes. Many things come up and before you know it, the deadline has past.
So we’re giving all still interested CHCI-UHF Scholar Internship Applicants extra time to finish their application!
EXTENDED Deadline: April 24, 2015
About the Program: The CHCI-United Health Foundation Scholar Intern Program is designed to allow students pursuing a career in health to not only receive monetary support for their education, but also gain hands-on experience in a health related field through an 80-hour paid internship.
Click here for a full description of the program:
For any questions please reach out to email@example.com.
Apr 20th, 2015 by Carlos C. Molina
1. Meet with your academic advisor to review your degree plan.
2. Activate your UTRGV account. (Emails were sent out)
3. Go to http://my.utrgv.edu/ and register.
Apr 14th, 2015 by Carlos C. Molina
Apply Now to our Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Grant Competition! Deadline: Tuesday, April 28, 2015
Did you know that the U.S. Department of Education provides grants to support doctoral dissertation research in modern foreign languages and area studies?
The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (DDRA) Fellowship Program provides opportunities to doctoral candidates to engage in full-time dissertation research abroad in modern foreign languages and area studies.
See our DDRA grantees in action:
DDRA Fellows: Christopher Butler, FY 2012, University of Santa Cruz, Title: Water Unites, Water Divides: Resistance to the West Seti and Upper Karnali Dams in Nepal; Maria Martin, FY 2013, Michigan State University, Title: Gendering African Nationalism; Mohamed Rafiq, FY 2013, Brown University, Title: Shaykhs and the State – The Incorporation of Tanzanian Shaykhs in Biopolitical Projects in Pre and Post Ujamaa Era; Heather Fair, FY 2014, Ohio State University, Title: Glacier Stream Conceptual Model and Physiological Mechanisms of Aquatic Insects.
Interested? Click here to learn more and apply!
DDRA is facilitated out of the Office of International and Foreign Language Education (IFLE) at the Office of Postsecondary Education. To learn more about the scope of IFLE’s grant programs, please visit our home page or follow us on Twitter at @GoGlobal.
Apr 14th, 2015 by Carlos C. Molina
Apr 10th, 2015 by Alex Garrido
GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT OPPORTUNITY
Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs (VPFA)
The Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs (VPFA) seeks a Research Assistant to provide support to the Internal Evaluator for the NSF ADVANCE grant.
- Assist with faculty development questionnaires and surveys
- Assist in communication with faculty and other campus offices
- Update and maintain electronic records and websites
- Data collection and data entry
- Transcribe recorded interviews
- Assist in managing research, assessment, and survey databases including data entry and data retrieval
- Review, organize, and prepare accurate data for statistical analysis
- Compile statistical summaries from data
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to support data collection and reporting
- Assist in maintaining, revising, and publishing annual reports for program review and assessment
- Assist with other duties as assigned
- Experience with SPSS required
- Data processing and statistical data analysis skills required
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Statistics results report writing skills preferred
- Knowledge of statistics and familiarity with principles of research design
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple projects concurrently and follow through all phases to completion with little to no supervision
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to maintain a high level of confidentiality of data
- Ability to handle multiple projects concurrently and follow through all phases to completion
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Create graphs, charts and other templates for visual presentation of data
- Must be a full-time graduate student (9 hours during the Fall or Spring semester and 6 hours during Summer months) in good academic standing
- Must work well with diverse groups of people and have excellent communication skills in verbal and writing
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision
- Must be able to follow working timelines
TO APPLY: Please send your CV/Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title: “RA Position for ADVANCE”.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 15, 2015
EMPLOYMENT PERIOD: April 27 – May 31, 2015 with high probability of continuing through the end of Summer semester, August 31, 2015
IMPORTANT NOTE: Only selected applicants will be contacted for interviews.
Apr 2nd, 2015 by Carlos C. Molina
A group of students in the Masters of Public Administration program attended the 2015 National Conference for the American Society for Public Administrators (ASPA) in Chicago, Illinois from March 6 to 10.
Among the students, Luciano S. Garza III was selected to present his research on “Cultural Competence & Central American immigrant families in the RGV” at the 76th annual conference.
Students also met public administrators from around the world and attended educational sessions on topics related to graduate studies.
For more information on the ASPA conference, visit the website here.